Tentative Roll and Assessment Information
The 2023 Tentative Assessment Roll can be found below as a PDF file.
The Bureau of Assessment is responsible for assessing real property in the City of Schenectady and administering real property tax exemptions to any eligible individuals or organizations. The annual assessment rolls published on May 1 (tentative) and July 1 (final) contain the roughly 20,400 parcels that are located within the City of Schenectady.
The grievance process begins on May 1 of each year after the tentative assessment roll is published. During this time, homeowners have the opportunity to grieve the published assessed value of their real property in the City of Schenectady. The grievance materials are available as links from our homepage. For more information on the grievance process, please see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) of our website of call us at 518-382-5075.
The City of Schenectady offers real property owners many different exemptions for which they may be qualified. If you are interested in knowing what exemptions are offered, please contact our office at 382-5075.
| March 1st
|| Taxable Status Date
|| The date Property is valued according to ownership and condition each year
| Exemption Deadline
|| The last day for filing all exemption applications for the current year
| May 1st
|| Tentative Roll Filing
| 4th Tuesday in May
|| Grievance Day
| July 1st
|| Final Roll Filing
For Assessment and Exemption Information, please visit the New York State Department of Tax and Finance website. Available on their website are downloadable forms.
The following phrases/abbreviations are found in the provided documents and these are their designated meanings:
- St no - The property location number recorded on the Assessment Roll
- St Location - The street location recorded on the Assessment Roll
- SBL Print Key - The property identification number (section, block and lot)
- Prop Class - The property classification: 210 = single family, 220 = two family, 230 = three family and 280 = multiple residence
- Bldg Style - The building style
- Yr Built - The year built
- Overall Cond - The overall condition of the structure - includes interior and exterior
- Bedrms - The number of bedrooms
- Baths - The number of full baths
- 1/2 Baths - The number of 1/2 baths
- FP - The number of fireplaces
- SFLA - The square foot living area as measured and recorded
- Land Frt - The front distance according to tax maps supplied by Schenectady County Real Property
- Land Depth - The depth distance according to tax maps supplied by Schenectady County Real Property