Welcome to the electronic application for a Certificate of Approval from the Historic District Commission! At this time, applicants may submit electronically using the link below, or can submit hardcopies instead using the application form available on the Historic District Commission website and at the Department of Development, Room 14, City Hall, 105 Jay Street. If you have suggestions on how to improve this electronic application or identify problems with the form, please fill out this suggestion form to let us know.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact City staff for a pre-submission review of their project and application materials. Such a review will help prevent delays due to incomplete applications and can help make the review process a pleasant one!
Attention: Users have reported difficulties when using this form in Windows Edge and Windows Explorer. Please use Firefox or Google Chrome browsers for the best performance.
For resources to help you plan your project and put together your application, please see the Additional Resources section of the Historic District Commission webpage (scroll to the bottom).
- A Log In account is required to submit a form using this system. It is free to create a Log In account. Click on the "Create an Account" link at the top left corner of the cityofschenectady.com website.
- Fill in all required fields (in red). Upload all attachments before attempting to submit the application. You will be able to save a draft of your application to return to at a later time, but attachments cannot be saved in a draft.
- Pay the application fee. An application fee of $10 for residential properties or $40 for commercial/non-residential properties must be hand delivered or mail to the Department of Development, 105 Jay St Room 14 Schenectady, NY 12305, before the application deadline. A delay in providing payment will result in a delay in your application review.
- City staff will review the submitted application to determine whether additional information is needed before it can be added to the Commission agenda. City staff will contact the applicant and/or property owner to request additional information, if needed, and to confirm placement on the agenda. Applications will not be placed on the Commission agenda until all requested materials have been received.
- Applicants or a representative knowledgeable of the project is required to attend the Commission meeting. Failure to attend the meeting will delay the approval of your application.
- Applicants will receive a Certificate of Approval in the mail approximately 1-2 weeks after the approval is issued. If proof of the Commission's decision is required sooner, please contact the Department of Development at (518) 382-5147.