SCHENECTADY – Mayor Gary McCarthy urged residents to prepare for potential dangerous heat conditions this week. The National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a Heat Advisory for the Capital Region as hot temperatures and high humidity increase the likelihood of heat-related illnesses.
“With upcoming dangerous heat conditions, it is critical that residents are aware of local cooling stations and safety tips,” Mayor McCarthy said. “Residents are encouraged to take precautions protecting themselves and others, such as staying hydrated, checking on elderly neighbors, and to be able to recognize the signs of heat-related illnesses.”
Residents are encouraged to drink plenty of water, stay indoors and find air-conditioning when possible, avoid strenuous activities, wear light, loose-fitting clothing, check on family members and neighbors. Also, young children and pets should never be left unattended in vehicles under any circumstances. Exercise caution while using extension cords for air-conditioning units and ensure any extension cord is rated to carry the current and will not overheat.
Below is a list of public cooling stations available in the City of Schenectady:
- Mont Pleasant Branch Library, 1026 Crane St, Schenectady, 12303, 518-386-2245
- Phyllis Bornt Branch Library, 948 State St, Schenectady, 12307, 518-372-4393
- Schenectady County Public Library, 99 Clinton St, Schenectady, 12305, 518-388-4500
- Woodlawn Branch Library, 2 Sanford St, Schenectady, 12304, 518-386-2248
In addition to three public pools in the City of Schenectady, there are also three splash pads: Tribute Park Splash Pad on Eastern Avenue, Wallingford Park Splash Pad on Congress Street, and Woodlawn Park Splash Pad on Kings Road.
The location and hours of the pools are below. For additional information on the pools, please contact the Boys & Girls Clubs of Schenectady at 518-374-4714.
- Central Park Pool, Central Park, Schenectady, 12309, Open daily from 12:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Quackenbush Park Pool, Forest Road, Schenectady, 12303, Open Monday – Saturday from 12:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Front Street Pool, Front Street, Schenectady, 12305, Open Monday – Saturday from 12:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
In an emergency situation, please do not hesitate to call 911 if you observe someone showing signs of heat-related illness. Additional heat-related information can be found on the NWS website: www.weather.gov/heat.